Space heaters are great for warming up your home during the winter months. But they can also be harmful to you and your family if not appropriately placed. If people in the room don’t move around while close to the heater, they will feel an increase in temperature, which is not always a good thing. To avoid this, here are some tips on where to place a space heater in a room:
Tips for placing a space heater:
- We rule out the one spot on top of things that can burn easily: papers, clothing and other flammable items. It is also important not to put any part of the heater near curtains or anything else that might catch fire.
- You should avoid placing the heater on or very close to any furniture. Again, this is due to fire hazards and because furniture can easily catch fire if it is too close to a space heater.
- Ideally, you should place the heater on a flat surface that can withstand heat and avoid putting it directly on the floor of a wooden structure. In some cases, this may be unavoidable; however, try to put a rug between the heater and floor to limit some of the heat loss from the floor.
- Keep anything combustible at least three feet away from your space heater, including flame-proof extension cords.
- If you choose not to use a space heater, make sure your rooms are at least 50 degrees Fahrenheit on average in the winter months. You should also have no less than 50 percent humidity in the air during cold weather.
- Be careful of setting too high of a temperature in a room. When using a space heater, you must keep it on low or medium heat. Also, avoid setting it any higher than necessary for even heating. Overheating will lead to damage to your space heater, and there is always the possibility that someone could get burned if they are close enough for hot air to flow over them.
Some people believe that space heaters, in general, can be dangerous, especially if placed incorrectly. Their theory is that the people in the room will not move around and risk overheating if they are too close to a space heater. This is why it is important to place a space heater in just the right spot for heating your home but not over-heating you or your family members.
What is a space heater?
Space heaters are often referred to as electric heaters or even portable heaters. They are small electric heating devices that use electricity to heat a room. The most common type of space heater has two power cables coming out of the back, one for the switch and the other for the base. These come in many styles and colors but usually consist of an on/off switch, a fan, and a heating element that will warm up your room. These can be installed on the top of the dressers or underneath beds or couches as an alternative method for warming up your home.
Where should a space heater be placed in my room?
Space heaters are designed to heat your home, but if placed too close to a person, they can become very hot, which could cause burns. To avoid this, keep your space heater at least three feet away from anything flammable like furniture. It is also important not to set the temperature too high as people can get burned if they are too close to a space heater.